Man overboard

I always go out one too many times.

I need to smarten up and know when to say enough is enough. In the last three weekends I've been out around 48 hours. Forty-eight. I think I'm going to have to limit myself to two consecutive weekends maximum, and stick to every other weekend whenever possible. I've lost enough weight, I've depleted enough serotonin, and I've spent enough money.

Unfortunately it seems I can never have enough fun.

When you go out all the time, it's too easy to let everything else in your life slide. Back when I worked at the evil bank, I pretty much lived for the weekend. The only way I could get through my horrible day was to think about popping pills and dancing on the weekend.

I'm not nearly that bad now, but in the loop it's a lot easier to forget about the fact that most of my stuff is still in Ottawa, that I need a new bed, and that my financial situation is moderately dire. No matter how bad things get, I can have a blast every weekend and forget about it all.

There are some many lost souls at Comfort Zone. It's sort of like The 6th Sense: they don't know they're lost. Except they're in their late 30s, in go-nowhere retail jobs, and living in some shitty apartment with second-hand furniture. But damn do they know how to have fun.

I think it's time to try sleeping every night for the next couple of weeks. I have to learn to have fun doing other things again. I'm not going to stop partying anytime soon, but there needs to be a balance between partying and real life.

If only real life didn't suck so much.

4 Comments:

  1. Grahamburger said...
    Uhh...I didn't know there was such a thing as too much partying...

    When you figure out this balance thing, maybe let me know? :P
    Danifesto said...
    Hmm it's like you are describing Treasure Island with the Lost Boys who never want to grow up.
    Seriously, I totally get the blowing off steam and weekends really were designed for this purpose. Maybe if you were to insert little bursts of fruit flavour fun during your work week, the extreme wouldn't be so extreme? I dunno. Balance is good though- ask any Buddhist monk. :)
    Threnody said...
    Haha g cracker, let's see you hallucinate at work and then tell me there's no such thing as too much :P

    Danifesto..Just way until I take you out on the town. You'll be hooked, just like me!
    Threnody said...
    That should say "wait" instead of "way"...Christ sometimes I feel like I get stupider by the day.

Post a Comment