Back in the ghetto

So for the first time since the summer I now have a permanent place to hang my hat. As a bonus, my rent is cheaper than it was in Ottawa and I get to wake up to this view:


Of course this all comes at a price.

I have to share the apartment with two other people. Not just any people, but strangers I met off of craigslist. This is moderately terrifying as I've never done the move-in-with strangers-thing before. The live-with-a-close-friend-thing and the-live-with-your-boyfriend things went pretty well, but needless to say it's a pretty big risk.

The thing is, they seem kind of...innocent. Which is good, in a way. They'll keep me out of trouble. I do wonder how they'll react when they find out where I'm going this weekend, though.

Oh and I also live in the most densely populated neighborhood in the country. Yes, lovely St. Jamestown with over 25,000 people in a square mile. Some people call it an urban planning nightmare. I'm going to be calling it home. Still, I have to admit, the collection of 30+ story buildings is more than a little Orwellian.

People warned me about living here. They said it was unsafe, and so forth. But those of you who've known me a long time know that this is far from my first time living in sketchy surroundings. Hell, based on what I've seen so far it's not even that bad. And budget living in Toronto requires sacrifices.

Of course it's not perfect. The elevator is essentially an unfunny clown car, where you have to squish your way in if you have any hope of getting anywhere. And just when you think it's completely full, someone new will squeeze their way on at the next stop. While moving one woman informed me that if I waited for an elevator with room to breathe I'd be waiting all day.

But I'm reserving judgment for now. It remains to be seen whether this neighbourhood is as bad as it's made out to be. My craigslist buddies don't seem to scared so I'm cautiously optimistic. The location is good, the rent is great, the view is unbeatable and I have a kitchen sink. Let it never be said that I lack optimism!

2 Comments:

  1. Danifesto said...
    Yeah we just moved to Toronto in September and our friend found us this apartment in St. Jamestown. We had no idea. Still for the space and location, you really can't beat the price. The elevators totally suck but seeing how they were never designed to accommodate this many folk, it's a miracle they work at all!
    It's not our forever, but it's okay for now.
    Threnody said...
    Exactly. It's not nearly as bad as I thought. Everyone had me thinking there'd be drugs, prostitution and savage beatings 'round the clock.

    Instead there are cute, well-behaved immigrant children who sing to their parents in the elevator. It warms my cold robot heart.

    And all the drugs are where they belong: in my apartment!

Post a Comment