Is it just me, or does picture messaging almost never work?
For a long time, I've had virtually no use for it. After all, I was carrying around a T616 which is a first-gen camera phone that is completely useless. If you have direct sunlight on the fourth Sunday of the month during the year of the donkey you might be able to get a usable low-res picture. Might.
But now I have a very nice 2 megapixel phone. I even grabbed a flash attachment off of eBay. This thing takes decent pictures. So once in a while, I figure it's fun to send a funny picture to someone.
Last weekend at the club I took a pretty funny (and highly sketchy) picture of myself with the bathroom attendant. I sent it to three people and none of them got it. Something always goes wrong.
I have no trouble sending. Which is great, because that's the part they charge you for. But half the time the recipient doesn't get anything, or they get a notice saying they have a picture message and they can't pick it up. Or something else goes wrong.
I'm not doing anything esoteric here. I'm sending a picture message, a feature that's been on phones for three or four years now, from my stock Rogers phone to my friend's stock Rogers phone. I figure by now I've paid out four or five bucks for photos that went into oblivion. It's right in that sweet spot where it's not enough to be worth complaining about, but still enough to bug the crap out of you.
This should just work. Is it any wonder this hasn't gotten off the ground yet? Look how long it took text messaging to really pick up, and that's about 45 times more reliable. If a communication channel doesn't work at least 99% of the time it's virtually useless. Do you have to phone someone every time you send an email to make sure they got it? No, but I have to text my friends whenever I send a picture message.
I'd send Rogers a photo of my ass and ask them to kiss it, but that'd probably be another 50¢ down the toilet
Image courtesy of Seth W.
- Be safe and considerate...and bland
- Born again blogger
- Vice grip
- Hunka hunka tacky love
- I'd like to thank my Mom...for raising me to be di...
- Chat truce
- Scamming like it's 1989
- Get to work, lazy blogosphere!
- Just call it the "bowling bag"
- Ex Communication
- The sketch doesn't last forever, but the memories ...
- 21 things you didn't know about sex...with me
- Man overboard
- It's a bullet massager, I swear!
- Dancing with WASPs
- Can you see me now?
- Your love is like a cinnamon heart rammed up my as...
- Screw you guys
- Blame Alexander Fleming
- Taking minty fresh a little too far
- We need a fresh supply of tampon rations NOW!
- Step away from the keyboard!
- Now to infect my enemies!
- You can't spell culture without cult
- Help me help you get rid of Me™
- This cheese needs more whiz
- Line: crossed
- Sleepwalking woman has sex with strangers!?
- Back in the ghetto
- ▼ February (30)
Stories I"m Digging
- 15 Minute Lunch
- about a boy and his briefs
- Blogging My Way To Self Importance!
- Diary Of An Addict
- Human Nature
- I must be dreaming
- in the what?
- Our Little Institution
- Planet Skybar
- Rainbow Colored Glasses
- Ready, Reset, Go!
- Rhamblings and Grahamblings
- Sarah O.
- The Adventures of Ken
- The West Village Kid
- trading faces
- What Isn't Given