For those of you living under a rock, last night the Oscars were on. And you'd have to be living under a rock, because I have absolutely no interest in the celebrity circle-jerk, and I still got slapped in the face with the thing several times.
It's kind of funny, actually. I take no more interest in the Academy Awards than I do the Super Bowl. In both cases, I found out incidentally the day of that the event was on. In both cases I was apathetic and found something better do. If given a choice, believe it or not, I'd probably pick the Super Bowl. Wouldn't Dad be proud.
As usual, some movies I've never heard of won a bunch of awards. The only movie I've seen in the last year is An Inconvenient Truth, and believe it or not, Al Gore did a better job of holding my interest than most Hollywood blockbusters do.
I just don't like movies. You have to sit there for like two hours, staring at a screen and absorbing. There's a dearth of interaction that just ruins the appeal for me. TV has a similar problem but the time investment is a lot lower. And even then, I watch very very little TV.
If I want an engrossing story, I'll read a book. Quite frankly, I think movies suck as a storytelling medium. They're good with visual things, but for character and plot development I'd rather have the author speak directly to me.
The funny thing is, I can screw around online for hours on end. but at least then I feel like I'm contributing in some minor way.
And honestly I think movies make for a crummy social experience. I would never, ever take a date to a movie. Isn't a date supposed to be about getting to know somebody? How the hell am I supposed to do that when I'm staring at a screen for two hours?! If I'm going to spend two hours not talking to a guy, it should be because he's got...erm...something in his mouth.
Same deal with friends. I don't have a huge amount of time to spend with my friends. I'd rather spend it conversing. There are lots of activities, like shopping, playing games, and, of course, clubbing, that let you be social at the same time. So why resort to sit-and-stare? There's no excuse unless you've got nothing left to say. And those of you who know me know that's not likely to be an issue anytime soon.
Image courtesy of Wikipedia. I love you Wikipedia.
- Be safe and considerate...and bland
- Born again blogger
- Vice grip
- Hunka hunka tacky love
- I'd like to thank my Mom...for raising me to be di...
- Chat truce
- Scamming like it's 1989
- Get to work, lazy blogosphere!
- Just call it the "bowling bag"
- Ex Communication
- The sketch doesn't last forever, but the memories ...
- 21 things you didn't know about sex...with me
- Man overboard
- It's a bullet massager, I swear!
- Dancing with WASPs
- Can you see me now?
- Your love is like a cinnamon heart rammed up my as...
- Screw you guys
- Blame Alexander Fleming
- Taking minty fresh a little too far
- We need a fresh supply of tampon rations NOW!
- Step away from the keyboard!
- Now to infect my enemies!
- You can't spell culture without cult
- Help me help you get rid of Me™
- This cheese needs more whiz
- Line: crossed
- Sleepwalking woman has sex with strangers!?
- Back in the ghetto
- ▼ February (30)
Stories I"m Digging
- 15 Minute Lunch
- about a boy and his briefs
- Blogging My Way To Self Importance!
- Diary Of An Addict
- Human Nature
- I must be dreaming
- in the what?
- Our Little Institution
- Planet Skybar
- Rainbow Colored Glasses
- Ready, Reset, Go!
- Rhamblings and Grahamblings
- Sarah O.
- The Adventures of Ken
- The West Village Kid
- trading faces
- What Isn't Given