From the Puritanism-is-alive-and-well file, we have news that librarians are freaking out over this year's Newbery medal winner. Why? Because it has the word "scrotum."

I'll wait a few seconds so you can recover from this ghastly noun........

Ready? Okay. Anyways, isn't it about time we got over this societal obsession with teaching children "cute" names for their naughty bits, rather than the actual word? Is it honestly going to damage a child to call it a penis, rather than a ding-dong, peter, or whatever?

But of course this is just the beginning of the repression that continues when we're taught that sex is a very serious matter that leads to strong emotional connections, and that promiscuity is something we should be ashamed of. Now it's not quite as bad as "abstinence only" programs south of the border, but there's still a lot of cultural taboo against casual sex, even though a lot of us (and the vast majority of we fags) practice it at some point in our lives.

This is a sitatuion that makes the Toronto gay community particularly annoying, because all the sluts try to pretend they're chaste. You ain't fooling anyone paco.

So I guess what I'm saying is, start teaching kids to call it a penis, scrotum, clit, vagina etc. and future Toronto homosexuals will be able to sleep around with ever-so-slightly-less hassle. If global warming doesn't kill everyone off by then.

Image courtesy of Storeyland.

4 Comments:

  1. Scottula said...
    You linked me! Now we're best friends.

    I love how your stance on this issue is one that says "Let's make gay sex better for future generations!"

    I plan to survive global warming... though I can't say I'll be having sex with the next generation.
    Jeff Skybar said...
    YOu have a really good blog. I have been poking around and like the post with all the partying. It takes me back to my days, pop a couple of pills and buzz around with bottled water until 4:00pm the next day. The partying eventually and naturally stops (I'm 33) so live it up while you can. Although lately I have been partying again like I was 24, so who knows what the hell is going on there.
    Threnody said...
    Is that all it takes? Well how about this, this and that?

    Now let's get married! I'll never have to pay overdue charges again!
    Threnody said...
    Thanks a lot Jeff! Feel free to live vicariously, I don't mind at all!

    I can't speak for Calgary, but here it seems like a lot of people continue well into their 30s. I say go for it, as long as it doesn't fuck everything else up.

Post a Comment